Thursday, June 21, 2007

Elton John at Brunton Park

ON Sunday 3 June 2007, I was one of the at least eighteen thousand people who attended Brunton Park, Carlisle, for the appearance of Elton John and his Band. The set list is as follows:

Love Lies Bleeding
The Bitch Is Back
Hercules
Mad Man Across The Water
Tiny Dancer
Daniel
Rocket Man
Honky Cat
Sacrifice
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues
The Bridge
Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
Bennie And The Jets
Philadelphia Freedom
Are You Ready For Love
Something About The Way You Look Tonight
Sad Songs (Say So Much)
I'm Still Standing
Crocodile Rock
Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Your Song
The show was fantastic, a great night has had by all. It was a great experience, which began around 5pm when Rachel, Jackie, Simon, Jamie and myself arrived at Carlisle, taking in a short walk to Brunton Park from Rosehill. Entry to Brunton Park was a walk along the exterior of the Cumberland Building Society Stand (East Stand), gaining entry through the stewarded cordon at the corner of the Waterworks End (Petterill End) and the Cumberland Building Society Stand, with the stage having being built at the Petterill End of the stadium, the home of Carlisle United Football Club.
First on stage were the Carlisle band The Monroes who gave a great little show from 6pm for about twenty minutes. The families of the band members were seated up in the Pirelli Family Stand and roared their approval as the band played a set of their own songs in their home city, although this stage was a little different to previous venues, as the male vocalist said "This is a bit different to 'The Office' in Botchergate, eh?!"
Next on stage were the main support act The Storys who are on the UK leg of the 'Rocket Man' tour with Sir Elton, they seemed a good band, I made a point of watching The Monroes as they are a local band but The Storys turned up whilst I was in the queue for chips (No curry sauce or gravy as they had run out) and a cup of tea (No milk or sugar, they had run out). I did spot my usual snack bar at Paddock North was open, but was diagonally opposite where I was standing among the food outlets stationed infront of The Warwick (Warwick Road End), so I could have, if I had tried, weaved my way through the seating to see if the gate was open which would have given me access to the snack bar. Which, knowing my luck, wouldn't have worked. Apologies for going off on a tangent, The Storys seem a good band and I hear they could be returning to Carlisle in the near future, could be good to see them again.
June 3rd was the one month mark since Madeleine McCann was abducted and the large screens either side of the stage ran the 'Look For Maddie' footage which increased the levels of emotion before Sir Elton John and his Band took to the stage for an incredible and highly memorable night.

No comments: